So you gained ‘a few’ Covid pounds, eh? Or maybe it’s the baby weight you gained from your now-adult child. Or maybe you just want to FEEL GOOD again! Good for you!
Now is always a good time to start a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.
Note that I didn’t say start a DIET. Fad or Quick weight loss Diets are not healthy. It takes time to change how you eat and improve your health.
But I’m fine with calling it whatever you want as along as you are NOT: punishing yourself, starving yourself, have an eating disorder or body dysmorphic disorder, or know nothing about what is actually good for your body.
Eating should not be a REWARD for good behavior. Eating should be enjoyable and done with gratitude and peace.
Also, a healthy lifestyle should NOT require enormous amounts of planning and time. Getting started may take a little practice, but living this way should be just as easy as eating junk food. Once you find what foods you enjoy , just eat those regularly.
You can do this! One day at a time, or even one hour at a time in the first couple of days. I believe in you!
So here are some TIPS to get you on a HEALTHY DIET and LIFESTYLE. Disclaimer: I am not a licensed anything. These tips are from my own experience. Use at your own discretion.
- Throw away or give away all the candy, chips, bread and processed junk food or wait until they are gone before starting.
- Tell at least one person what you are doing. Pick someone you trust to be honest and supportive of your attempts.
- Don’t tell the whole world, that’s too much pressure. And some people will want you to fail!
- Go shopping and buy: salad, Newman’s Own Italian dressing, fish, chicken, beef, eggs, cheese, yogurt, blueberries, bananas, oranges, water, lemon juice, olive oil, frozen or fresh broccoli and spinach and other green vegetables, red or sweet potatoes, butter, pork skins (optional, lol), nuts that you can tolerate such as cashews, pecan, almonds, macadamia (not peanuts), Stevia, cream for coffee (if desired), and anything else that you like that is NOT junk food and is sugar-free and grain-free.
- You need to have healthy foods available or you will eat the other stuff.
- Pick a starting day that will not be extra stressful. Not the day when you’ll be forced to go out to eat or to a party or have a job interview or won’t be home all day.
- Do some food prep. Chop and cook and prepare some stuff so that when you get hungry you are READY.
- Either make a meal plan or buy one or join a diet program that tells you what to eat every day. Your choice!
- Be prepared to feel like crap for a few days or longer as you DETOX.
- Warn your loved ones.
- Don’t make any rash decisions while you are detoxing!
- Remember that your emotions will be affected by the changes you are making in your brain chemicals!
- Plan to exercise. Your body needs movement! Walking, riding a bike, swimming, yoga, exercise videos or whatever is accessible to you. Gyms are great, but with Covid I understand that many people can’t or don’t want to go.
- Sign up for Myfitness pal or a similar app to track your calories and exercise, UNLESS you are obsessive compulsive. If you are OCD, these apps can be dangerous to your health.
- Keep a journal of your starting weight, measurements (optional), and how you feel each day.
- Get some quality supplements.
- On this diet, you will need to be sure to SALT your food, eat foods with potassium, and take B VITAMINS since you won’t be getting a lot of sodium in your food and you won’t be eating fortified cereal or bread.
- Take Magnesium to prevent constipation, if that is an issue for you. With lots of veggies and fat, eventually this may not be a problem. But most of us are deficient in Magnesium which is an important nutrient for mental health, digestion, and blood pressure.
- Consider Chromium, Rhodiola, and Ashwaganda as well.
- Skip the alcohol for at least the first 4 weeks. After that, keep it to once a week at most. Alcohol greatly reduces your fat-burning!
- Get good sleep. Take melatonin if necessary. Don’t stay up past 10:00 if possible.
- Ask God to help you! You will be struggling mentally, so be sure to pray for protection from the devil’s lies and schemes. Ask someone to pray for you.
These are just a few tips to get you started. Check back for more as I am also starting this journey, AGAIN. I lost over 50 pounds eating this way back in 2011-2012, but thanks to menopause and Covid, I am sad to say I have gained nearly 20 pounds since 2019.
Let me know in the comments if you are joining me in this return to health!