Last night we had a grease fire that could have been tragic, but thanks to my son no one was hurt . He’s truly a hero . Thanks to God for His mercy and protection!
How the fire happened
I left a pan of oil heating on the stove to cook some chicken nuggets. Then I saw three deer out the kitchen window and went to take a picture and forgot all about about the pan.
While I was outside taking pictures with my good camera, my next-to-youngest son was in his room by the kitchen with the door closed. He heard the loud beeping smoke alarms going off (please be sure yours work! ) and then saw flickering light underneath the door. When he opened his door, he saw flames shooting to the ceiling . He grabbed the fire extinguisher from under the kitchen sink, put out the fire and got my daughter out of the smoke. She had been in the kitchen near the stove.
I was walking back from the barn when I saw my son coming out the back door with my daughter’s wheelchair and coughing. I instantly knew realized had happened. My heart nearly stopped and I hurried to the house. I tried to go into the house to get my husband , but the house was pitch black with choking smoke! Thankfully he had woken up and opened the door and saw smoke and went out the front door. Meanwhile my son had gone in and yelled and made sure my husband got out. He was able to go out the front door .
I’m not a crier, but I broke down after I thought of what could have happened to my family . My son was stoic while I sobbed and hugged him. I’m so proud of him. This may not sound or look like a big deal, but the potential for tragedy was huge and my mind knew it. Updates here and here.
We spent the night at my mom’s house across the pasture. The house smells pretty smoky and like burnt plastic . Everyone seems okay. My son is coughing a little.
There is a huge mess, but I don’t care. Today I will clean it up and continuously praise God that no one was hurt.
I’m still an exhausted and emotional wreck . Waiting for the insurance adjuster to call . Thanks for the prayers that this will be covered and we can get it fixed quickly. Currently there’s no electricity in the kitchen or my bedroom because of the burned wiring.
And thanks to my friends who prayed for me last night when I texted you . Your support means so much!