Have you been gathering garden fresh tomatoes ? Filling up your fridge with peppers ? Don’t let them go to waste! Grab the chips!
Making homemade salsa is easy ! But if you search for the perfect recipe online it can get confusing . I know because I’ve done that . This recipe is very similar to Pico de Gallo and tastes a lot like that.
Today I have an easy guide with the key ingredients for fresh restaurant style salsa to eat with chips or to put on scrambled eggs or anything you want.
First the ingredient list , then photos for those who prefer a visual .
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce (that’s the secret ingredient!)
- 8-10 Roma tomatoes
- 1-2 Bell Peppers
- 1-2 Jalapeños, hot or mild (optional)
- Fresh Cilantro leaves (to taste) required for authentic flavor, but you can leave it out if you hate it
- Small white, yellow or purple onion
- One lime or Tablespoon of lime juice
- A little Salt
- A little Pepper
- A little Cumin
- A little Garlic or garlic salt ( don’t use salt if you use garlic salt)
- Joys Salsa Mix ( optional , tastes fine without it! )
- sugar (optional , just a little)
- Tools: sharp knife , cutting board, food processor or blender or other tool if desired , mixing bowl, spoon
Instructions to make the salsa:
- First either dice all the tomatoes, or optionally you can dice half of them and put the other half in a food processor and pulse to desired texture. I chose the second option for the salsa in the above photo.
- Put prepared tomatoes in a bowl big enough for all ingredients
- Dice (cut up) all peppers and onion into small pieces and tear up cilantro leaves
- Add those veggies to tomatoes
- Add in desired seasonings and sugar
- Add in can of tomato sauce
- Squeeze in juice of half of a lime
- Stir well. Cover bowl or place in jars and cover. Refrigerator until chilled and flavors meld .
Don’t overdo the salt or sugar . You can always add more if it’s not enough.
This should be good for at least a week in the fridge.
Will make approximately 4 cups .